Friday The 13th Facts: 13 Things You Didn't Know About This Freaky Date2:17 AM
Bad luck on Friday the 13th might just be a superstition, But where does this fear come from? Why F...
Bad luck on Friday the 13th might just be a superstition, But where does this fear come from? Why Friday the 13th is considered such an unlucky day? Around the world, many cultures believe that the date is a sign of bad luck.
Throughout history, it has been considered that a Friday that falls on 13 is a sign of bad luck or a bad omen. Whether this is true or not, the fact is that many people suffer at the mere idea of thinking about this date and suffer phobias directly related to this superstition. Today we bring you some curiosities about Friday the 13th.
1. It is not known for certain why this date is feared
Little is known about the origins of fear to this day. Some historians believe that the superstitions surrounding this time arose in the nineteenth century. The first documented mention can be found in the biography of the Italian composer Gioachino Rossini, who died on a Friday the 13th.
Others associated with a 1907 book called "Friday the thirteenth," published by the broker US stock market Thomas Lawson and that was the inspiration for mythology Friday 13th culminating in films and television series in the 80.
For some, the myth has biblical origins, since Jesus was crucified on a Friday and there were 13 people at the Last Supper on the night before his crucifixion. And others associated with misfortune since 1307, when on a Friday the 13th, the King Felipe IV, launched a brutal persecution against the Order of the Knights Templar. Which caused the mass arrests of its members.
2. It is a very real fearSo true that it even has its own scientific name. The fear of Friday the 13th is also called Triskaidekaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia. It comes from the Greek words triskaideka-, meaning 13, and phobia, which means fear. Paraskevidekatriaphobia is also derived from the Greek: Paraskeví is translated as Friday, and de Katrina is another way of saying 13.
Also read: Why Friday the 13th Is Considered Unlucky
3. And very common!Experts say Triskaidekaphobia affects millions of people and estimate that companies, particularly airlines suffer severe losses on Friday 13th.
Many high - rise buildings, hotels, and hospitals omit the 13th floor, and even many airports don't have numbered doors with 13. In many parts of the world, 13 people sitting at a table is also a sign of bad luck.
It is proven that hundreds of millions of dollars less are spent on that day, as people avoid shopping, investing money, traveling, going to work, thus affecting the world economy and the business sector that is clearly affected.
4. On Fridays, 13th may come three in threeThere is bad news for all who suffer from triskaidekaphobia: At least, every year have a Friday 13th, and at most, we can have 3 Friday 13 in the same year. As happened in the years 2012 and 2015.
5. The fault that exists on Friday the 13th has SundayFor a month to have a Friday the 13th, the month must start on a Sunday. You do not believe it? Take a look at the calendar and check it out for yourself.
7. There are Fridays 13th even during leap yearsIf January 1 of the leap year falls on Sunday, the months of January, April and July will have a Friday 13 each. In the 20th century, this occurred in 1928, 1956 and 1984. And in the 21st century, this will happen four times in 2012, 2040, 2068, 2096.
8. Alfred Hitchcock was born, of course, on the 13thThe master of the suspense was taken the 13th of August 1899, the reason why the 13 of August of, 1999 would have turned 100 years. Also, Hitchcock debuted as director in 1922 with a called film "Number 13". The film pursued from the start by bad luck, never got to take off due to financial problems.
9. Not every country is considered a day of bad luckAlthough there are countries like the United Kingdom in which, according to studies, 72% of the population says that they think that Friday the 13th is a day of bad luck. And that on this date they have missed work, avoided leaving their home, Travel, doing business or making necessary purchases, there are others where this date is not a problem.
In Italy, for example, it is Friday 17 and Friday 13 not regarded as the day of bad luck. In fact, the number 13 is considered some good luck in the country of pasta. And in many Spanish-speaking countries, such as Spain, and in Greece, it is Tuesday the 13th that is considered a day of bad luck.
10. Research shows that, in fact, it is not a day of bad luck.There is no evidence to prove that Friday the 13th is, in fact, an unfortunate day. Many studies have confirmed that on Friday the 13th has no particular effect on misfortunes such as accidents, hospital admissions, or natural disasters, which do not seem to increase at that date more than usual.
11. The date has inspired great successes in cinema and literatureThe company's commercial success Friday 13 includes 12 horror movies, a television series and several books that focus on curses and superstitions. Although the films and television series received many negative reviews, they have a large following. The mask used by the main character of these films, Jason Voorhees, is one of the most popular images of popular culture.
12. On Friday, April 13, 2019, an asteroid will cross the landThe asteroid 99942 Apophis was discovered in 2004. It was then thought that there was a small possibility that it might collide with Earth. But you can rest easy since, since then, scientists have shown that there is absolutely no risk of the asteroid impacting the Earth or the Moon.
Also read: Why Friday the 13th Is Considered Unlucky