DIY Yarn Balls: Home Décor10:53 PM
Learn how to make DIY yarn ball home decor, christmas decorations, seasonal holiday decor . DIY Yarn Balls can be used in wedding, Birthday ...
Learn how to make DIY yarn ball home decor, christmas decorations, seasonal holiday decor
Want to add a festive touch to your home décor? Yarn balls are an inexpensive and versatile décor trick. They also make for easy party decorations.
Plastic bags or a drop-cloth to cover the floor
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup hot water
A mixing bowl
- Blow up balloons to different sizes (filling balloons only halfway will help you achieve a more spherical shape) and knot each balloon
- Create a drying area (If you’re working outdoors or in the garage, hang up a clothesline. If you’re working indoors, suspend a string between two chairs. Be sure to put a drop-cloth or plastic bags under the drying area to catch any drips.)
- Hang balloons from strings above the drying area
- Spray balloons with cooking spray (to make removing the yarn easier later)
- In the bowl, mix hot water with cornstarch
- Add a bottle of white school glue and mix thoroughly
- Dip yarn into the glue mixture and gently squeeze out the excess with your fingers — you may want to wear rubber gloves.
- Beginning at the knot-end of your balloon, wrap your balloon with the wet yarn. The more you wrap, the denser the ball will be
- Wrap in all directions, top to bottom and side to side
- When you’re satisfied with the wrapping, cut the string.
- Repeat the process with the remaining balloons
- Allow the balloons to dry completely. This may take about 24 hours. The yarn should be stiff and dry
- Pop the balloon. Try very gently kneading the balloon before popping it to separate it from the yarn. Remove the popped balloon
- Because you can use any color yarn for this project, yarn ball decorations are suitable for almost any occasion.
- Throwing a baby shower? Hang pink and blue balls above the table for a sweet chandelier.
- Need decorating ideas for an outdoor wedding? String white lights through the balls or put flame-less lights inside and hang them in the trees!
- Use orange and black balls for a Halloween centerpiece
- Want an elegant holiday garland for your mantel? Use metallic silver and gold yarn for an offbeat alternative to the usual greenery.
- Yarn balls make great ornaments for the tree as well.