15 Ways to Get Rid of Brain Freeze: Causes and Cures8:42 AM
What is a brain freeze? What causes brain freeze? How to get rid of brain freeze? 15 Ways to stop brain freeze! Brainfreeze goes by other na...
What is a brain freeze? What causes brain freeze? How to get rid of brain freeze? 15 Ways to stop brain freeze! Brainfreeze goes by other names — ice cream headache, cold rush, even cranium cramp.
DISCLAIMER: The advice I offer in response to your questions is intended to be informational only and generic in nature. Any advice offered is no substitute for proper evaluation and care by a qualified Medical officer/Doctor.
So what is brain freeze?
According to Wikipedia; A brainfreeze, also known as ice-cream headache, cold-stimulus headache, trigeminal headache or its given scientific name sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia (meaning "nerve pain of the sphenopalatine ganglion"), is a form of brief pain or headache commonly associated with consumption (particularly quick consumption) of cold beverages or foods such as ice cream and ice pops.
Experts have come up with a possible reason for why that most hated of afflictions, "brainfreeze", is caused, along with a way to get rid of it.
What causes brain freezeWhen something cold touches the roof of your mouth (your palate), the sudden temperature change of the tissue stimulates nerves to cause rapid dilation and swelling of blood vessels. This is an attempt to direct blood to the area and warm it back up. The dilation of the blood vessels triggers pain receptors, which release pain-causing prostaglandins, increase sensitivity to further pain, and produce inflammation while sending signals through the trigeminal nerve to alert the brain to the problem.
4 Possible causes brain freezeNo one knows for sure what causes brainfreeze but here are a few possible explanations. Here are four Possible causes brain freeze:
1. when severe cold hits the nerve on the roof of your mouth it causes referred pain.
2. when the pain occurs in one place in the body but is felt elsewhere.
3. very cold food temporarily alters blood flow to your brain, causing localized pressure and a brief headache.
4. cold-stimulus headaches are a defense mechanism to protect the brain from temperature fluctuations and keep it warm.
How to get rid of brain freezeLets get rid of Brain Freeze Problem! At one time it was thought that this phenomenon happened only in hot weather, but in fact, it can happen in any temperature. It’s the temperature of the food that you are eating that causes the effect.
15 Ways to get rid of Brain Freeze in its tracks:
- Press your tongue against the roof of the mouth to warm the area.
- Tilt your head back for about 10 seconds and get rid of brain freeze.
- Stop drinking the icy cold beverage. You can also jam your tongue up to the roof of your mouth because it's warm or drink something tepid to normalize the temperature in your mouth.
- Drink a liquid that is warmer than the cold substance that caused the headache.
- Take small bites or sips and let them warm on your tongue before they touch the roof of your mouth.
- Open your mouth and cover it with your hand. Then breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose. This will help warm the inside of your mouth.
- Make a mask with your hands and cover your mouth and nose; breathe quickly.
- Press your thumb against the roof of your mouth.
- Take smaller sips or bites of the cold food or drink, rather than consuming it very fast. It is also better to move the food or drink around inside your mouth before you swallow it, so that your mouth gets adapted to the food temperature, and does not give you a brainfreeze.
- Since BrainFreeze starts after you swallow, you can actually prevent it by holding the cold substance against the roof of your mouth before you swallow. But this technique seems so illogical most people won’t even try it!
- Give up all frozen treats (just kidding).
- While drink something cold, Using a spoon instead of a straw can help.
- Giving a nice massage to your temple or back of your neck can be a good way to get rid of brain freeze. If you have pain, you automatically start rubbing that spot to feel better. The same applies to the pain you get with brainfreeze.
- Take a brisk walk if you have been hit by a brainfreeze. This will allow more blood to flow into your brain and other parts of the body, and ease the pain due to brainfreeze quickly.
- Wait before you drink cold things to come it in a little normal temperature, do same thing while going to eat ice-cream.