52 Ways to Promote your Blog and Business5:13 AM
I’ll admit that usually I’m not a fan of lists, hence you won’t find many long ones here at Better ...
I’ll admit that usually I’m not a fan of lists, hence you won’t find
many long ones here at Better Business Blogging. However, when they are
recommended by people like Brian Clark at CopyBlogger or Darren Rowse at Problogger then who am I to argue?
Although I have presented this as a single list, there are really three distinct groups of techniques that I would recommend that you consider in here – firstly what I would call “Blog methods”, then the more general online marketing methods and of course offline marketing and PR techniques. We’ll be looking at all of these on an ongoing basis at The Blog Coach.
In the meantime, here are 52 Great Ways to market your blog:
- Submit your site to the main web directories – you'll find a good list at Directory Maximiser
- Make sure that the whole of your blog is indexed on the main Search Engines such as Google, Yahoo and MSN/Live
- Get a Google Sitemap on your blog to help to get it fully indexed
- Participate in online business networking sites such as Linked In, eCademy and SoFlow
- Make it easy for your readers to bookmark your blog on the social bookmarking sites such as Digg, Del.icio.us, Furl etc.
- Make sure you submit your blog to the main Blog directories (Good list here and here)
- Also submit your blog to the main RSS directories
- Ensure that you automatically ping the main blog Search Engines and Directories suach as Technorati and IceRocket to get instantly indexed.
- Join a number of relevant online communities or discussion groups for your market area
- Maximize the design of your own blog: highlight posts or subjects that will attract and retain readers
- Add comments – relevant, useful comments – to other people�s threads or blogs
- Use Pay per Click (PPC) advertising like Google Adwords or Yahoo Search Marketing
- Advertise on sites such as Gumtree or Craigslist
- Make sure that you run an ezine (e-newsletter) alongside your blog and make the two work together
- Make sure that you link out to other blogs in your blog posts and, for special recommended blogs, in your BlogRoll
- Join MyBlogLog to be able to make contact with other MyBlogLog users and develop relationships
- Set up a social network part of your blog with Ning
- Write your own e-book (perhaps using content from your blog) and give away free chapters to encourage visitors or subscribers
- Start your own meme or viral networking idea (such as 2000 Bloggers)
- Attend local networking groups such as BNI, BRE etc – tell them about what you do and reference your blog
- Set up and develop a profile on online social networking sites such as MySpace, Bebo etc.
- Create a free account on BT Tradespace
- Interview people for your own regular podcast – perhaps you could make it like your own online radio show
- Contact other relevant ezines and offer to write articles for them
- Submit your articles to article directories (Ezine Articles, Article Alley etc.)and link to your blog in the signature
- Submit your own ezine to ezine directories such as Ezine Directory or Best Ezines
- Include podcasts as part of your blog to distribute interviews, informational pieces etc.
- Convert some of your existing articles into podcasts
- Create a lense at Squidoo
- Distribute and syndicate your articles and podcasts via your RSS feed
- Offer free white papers or specialist documents which are branded with your blog and RSS details
- Set up teleconferences or teleseminars focusing on your main content areas
- Write a review of books on Amazon.com linking back to your blog
- Distribute press releases via online news services such as PR Web or Press Box
- Add a poll or survey to your blog and post/distribute the results – try SurveyGizmo if you are a WordPress user
- Read other blogs and leave your own comments on them
- Use trackbacks when you reference other bloggers� posts
- Create podcasts of your best posts and syndicate them, as well as submitting them to iTunes and other podcast directories
- Sign up to Feedburner and include the Headline Animator in your email signature and the one you use when you post to forums
- Make sure you include your blog address on your business cards and company stationery
- Customise and improve your RSS Feed using Feedburner – include special offers, sign up opportunities and make sure the feed delivers the full post
- Increase RSS feed sign ups by offering a sign up bonus to subscribers – how? Just ask!
- Offer readers the chance to sign up via email (Feedburner and Feedblitz offer the service
- Put files and follow ups to presentations, conferences and seminars on your blog for attendees to read and download
- Offer to become a Guest blogger on other blogs and invite Guest bloggers to write on your own blog
- Make sure to submit articles to and participate in Blog Carnival
- Optimise your blog where possible and particularly the Categories, Title Tags and Meta Tags
- Participate regularly in conversations on other blogs
- Post answers on LinkedIn Answers and Yahoo Answers
- Try LinkBaiting using controversial subjects or opinions � be careful though!
- Contact the main bloggers in your market area and introduce yourself or send details of a particular post that might interest them
What other methods (or which of these methods) do you find work best for you as you promote your Blog? Please share them with us by leaving a comment!